Exploring the oddity of books spare moment by another spare moment...also, a lot of ellipses...

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

51: Newport


Alright, this book makes the claim that Rhode Island (the setting of Family Guy) is the "fabled watering place of the Very Rich." Now of course, as a blogger, I'm not typically allowed to know what the "watering places" for the wealthy are at any given point. Not even the trendy, flash in the pan ones, let alone the fabled ones.
Do the rich read novels about being rich? Wouldn't they rather read about poor people as form of comedy? I'm so out of my element that I'm just going to let a couple of selections speak for themselves.

From the author biography page, "Edwin Gilbert divides his time between Europe, the sea coast of New England, and Bridgewater, Conn..." aww, that's just making me feel crappy about myself. let's try another.

This describes the beginning of a sex act between the two leads. "Presently, mysteriously, the barrier between what had been and what was, vanished with starling speed, like a mound of sand suddenly washed away by the rush of tide." Its like they gold dipped a Nobel literature winner and forced him, under musket (was fired at the Battle of Lexington) point, to narrate their couplings.

Aww, jeez this ain't for me guys. I gotta wipe my mind clean with some science fiction or whatever else low brow/for the poor sort of entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment