Exploring the oddity of books spare moment by another spare moment...also, a lot of ellipses...

Monday, March 7, 2011

13: The Cautious Amorist


While a novel, this one is nonetheless supposed to "recount in realist terms what would actually happen to three men and a pretty woman on a desert island." This innocent portrayal, from a 1938 Time article regarding the author, is towards my main point--really? I'm a bit more negative so my assumption was rape...yet this book is completely without. I mean, I wasn't looking for rape when purchased (the cover was the complete reason for that), but surely I expected some to occur. Or maybe it would be that archaic romantic trope of the woman struggling against the stronger man's initial physical overtures only to wrestled to arousal. Nope. Instead there's a whole lot of "aplomb" being tossed about besides the occasional "you beast."

Sadly, my copy is a later 1955 printing lacking any of the original's many illustrations (also by the author). See below for sample of both drawing and male/female interaction from the story.
Finally, there's a whole bunch of slurs attached to being Irish about which...come on this was the 30's! At different times being punched is considered more ill for having happened from Irish fists and later efforts are made by the non-Irish to protect the lady's ("pretty lady") innocence. As appropriate to my race and modern mind, I am merely and utterly fascinated (not offended or whatever) that people could get raycess* about Irish folk. As a historical document, The Cautious Amorist** just assumes the Irish are monsters and is done with it.

*"raycess" being the more phonetically pleasing form of "racist."
**Spellcheck continues to insist that "amorist" is not a real word while I counter that spellcheck needs to see something of the world before making such an accusation.

No comments:

Post a Comment