Exploring the oddity of books spare moment by another spare moment...also, a lot of ellipses...

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

15: Ali Rap


Thinking about possession. Now I've owned this book for at least four years and, for all the urge I felt to buy it at the time, I've yet to actually unwrap and read it--let alone just flip through the pages. Actually, I have little idea what the interior is even like other than vague ideas of Muhammed Ali being some sort of early pioneer or touchstone for actual rappers, what with his impromptu rhymes at interviews. Well, it is published by Taschen of whom I'm aware of in general "they make nice art books" sort of way so I'm sure there are nice and possibly even never before seen pictures of Ali and various musicians.
More, I'm not even going to open it now. Four years and the only strong urge I feel towards it is possessive--no way would I sell it or give it away. I feel that urge since I'm quite aware that if I really want this book then I should take the time to appreciate it and thus must combat my common sense with what I guess should be called uncommon sense. Someday maybe I'll read it. At the very least I want to be the type of person who owns a book about Ali and rap.

Final note--what makes me appear way sillier is the fact that I paid close to retail originally while copies are now readily available for a penny for used copies.

No comments:

Post a Comment